Isn’t religion only for “religious people?
No. Absolutely not. Religion means “relationship” (with God), and that ‘s for everybody, because everybody is God’s creature and loved one.
Religion is not for the people who feel religious. You don’t have to feel religious at all. You can be bored in church and still not be bored with God, still believe and hope and love God. Religion is not about religion; religion is about God. True religion isn’t in love with itself but with God.
And what are “religious people” anyway? The person who asks that question (“isn’t religion only for religious people?”) probably thinks of religious people as wimps or sissies or squares or nerds. Was Jesus any of those things?
You don’t start out by thinking, “I’m a religious person,” then believe. You don’t think, “I’m feeling kind of religious today. I think I’m in the market for a god. Do you have one I could worship, please?”
The five main pillars of our Catholic religion are for everybody.
- The heart of the Catholic religion, and also of the Protestant and Jewish and Muslim religions, is this: “The Lord–and the Lord alone–is our God. Love the Lord you God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.” Jesus said of that commandment, “This is the greatest and the most important commandment.”
- “The second most important commandment is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’
- The glue that sticks us to God, the “mediator” between God and humanity, the One who makes the religious relationship possible for us is Jesus, the God-man, He’s for everyone, too. He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one goes to the Father except by me.”
- The way we know Jesus is through his Church’s teaching about him. Therefore, the Church is for everybody, too.
- So is the Bible, the Church’s book.
People can be religious about many things. Some people worship money, or pleasure, or power, or their job, or the State. There are no non-religious people; there at just false gods.
What are your thoughts? Please comment below.